Journal articles & Book chapters
Articles are listed alphabetically by first author and are colour-coded by CAHRU project. Most items have a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). Type or paste this into the search box on the DOI System Website to find the article online.
- Active Travel to School across the Primary-Secondary Transition
- CAHRU publication (not published from a specific project)
- Changes in Child Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke (CHETS)
- Control of Adolescent Smoking Study (CAS)
- Determining the impact of smoking point of sale legislation among youth (Display) study
- European Network of Health Promoting Schools (ENHPS) projects
- Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC)
- Physical Activity in Scottish Schoolchildren (PASS)
- Promoting a 'Duty of Care' towards animals among young people
- Scottish Physical Activity Research Collaboration (SPARColl)
- Vallance K, Roth E, Thompson K, Chow C, & Martin G. Partying Last Weekend: Factors Related to Heavy Episodic Drinking Among People Who Use Recreational Drugs. Substance Use & Misuse, 1-10. (August 2016). Go to article in Substance Use and Misuse
- Branion-Calles M C, Nelson T A, Martin G. Adjusting local alcohol consumption data for influence of tourists. (May 2016) Go to article in Journal of Substance Use
- Borraccino A, Lemma P, Berchialla P, Cappello N, Inchley J, Dalmasso P, Charrier L, Cavallo F and the Italian HBSC 2010 Group. Unhealthy food consumption in adolescence: role of sedentary behaviours and modifiers in 11-, 13- and 15-year-old Italians.
European Journal of Public Health April 2016, 1-6
Go to the article in European Journal of Public Health
- Bucksch J, Sigmundova D, Hammrik Z, Troped P J, Melkevik O, Ahluwalia N, Borraccino A, Tynjälä J, Kalman M and Inchley J. International Trends in Adolescent Screen-Time Behaviors From 2002 to 2010.
Journal of Adolescent Health 58 (4), April 2016
Go to the article in Journal of Adolescent Health
- Best C, Haseen F, van der Sluijs W, Ozakinci G, Currie D, Eadie D, Stead M, MacKintosh A M, Pearce J, Tisch C, MacGregor A, Amos A, Frank J and Haw S. Relationship between e-cigarette point of sale recall and e-cigarette use in secondary school children: a cross-sectional study.
BMC Public HealthDOI: 10.1186/s12889-016-2968-2. 14 April 2016
Go to article in BMC Public Health
- Michaelson V, Brooks F, Jirásek I, Inchley J, Whitehead R, King N, Walsh S, Davison CM, Mazur J & Pickett W. (2016). Developmental patterns of adolescent spiritual health in six countries.
SSM-Population Health Volume 2, December 2016
Go to the article in Science Direct
- Best C, van der Sluijs W, Haseen F, Eadie D, Stead M, MacKintosh AM, Pearce J, Tisch C, MacGregor A, Amos A, Miller M, Frank J, Haw S. Does exposure to cigarette brands increase the likelihood of adolescent e-cigarette use? A cross-sectional study.
British Medical Journal 6 (2), 23 February 2016
Go to the article in BMJ
- van der Sluijs W, Haseen F, Miller M, MacGregor A, Sharp C, Amos A, Best C, Stead M, Eadie D, Pearce J, Frank J and Haw S. “It Looks Like an Adult Sweetie Shop”: Point-of-Sale Tobacco Display Exposure and Brand Awareness in Scottish Secondary School Students.
Oxford Journal doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntw032. 16 February 2016
Go to the article in Oxford Journal
- Frasquilho D, Gaspar de Matos M, Marques A, Neville F G, Gaspar T and Caldas de Almeida J M. Unemployment, parental distress and youth emotional well-being: the moderation roles of parent-youth relationship and financial deprivation. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. 1-8 (December 2015) Go to article in CPHD
- Hartley J E K, Levin K, Currie C . A new version of the HBSC Family Affluence Scale - FAS III: Scottish qualitative findings from the international FAS development study. Child Indicators Research. 9 (1) pp 233-245 March 2016. Go to article in CIR
- Reicher S D, Templeton A, Neville F G, Ferrari, L and Drury J. Core disgust is attenuated by ingroup relations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 113(10), p2631-2635 (February 2016) doi: 10.1073/pnas.1517027113 Go to article PNAS
- Ahluwalia N, Dalmasso P, Rasmussen M, Lipsky L, Currie C, Haug E, Kelly C, Trab Damsgaard M, Due P, Tabak I, Ercan O, Maes L, Aasvee K, and Cavallo F. Trends in overweight prevalence among 11, 13 and 15-year-olds in 25 countries in Europe, Canada and USA from 2002 to 2010.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 28-32(April 2015)
Go to the article in BMJ
- Currie C, Aleman-Diaz A. Building knowledge on adolescent health: reflections on the contribution of the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 4-6(April 2015)
Go to the article in Eurpub
- Currie C, Watson L and Rice P. Adolescent health in the 21st century Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh45(4) 258-60 (2015). Go to the article Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh Journal [Invited Editorial].
- Ramelow D, Currie D, and Felder-Puig R. The Assessment of School Climate: Review and Appraisal of Published Student-Report Measures.
Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment25(2) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0734282915584852(33)731-743 (December 2015)
Go to the article in JPA
- Eadie D, Stead M, MacKintosh A M , MacDonald L, Purves R, Pearce J, Tisch C, van der Sluijs W, Amos A, MacGregor A, Haw S. E-cigarette marketing in UK stores: an observational audit and retailers’ views.
BMJ Open DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008547 (11 September 2015)
Go to the article in BMJ Open
- Elgar, F J, McKinnon B, Walsh S D, Freeman J, Donnelly P D, de Matos, M G, Gariepy G, Aleman-Diaz, A Y, Pickett W, Molcho M. and Currie, C., 2015. "Structural determinants of youth bullying and fighting in 79 countries. Journal of Adolescent Health 57(6), pp. 643-650. Go to the article in Journal of Adolescent Health
- Elgar F J, Pförtner T-K, Moor I, de Clercq B, Stevens G W J M, Currie C. Socioeconomic inequalities in adolescent health 2002–2010: a time-series analysis of 34 countries participating in the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children study.
The Lancet DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61460-4 (3 February 2015)
Go to the article in The Lancet
- Kalman M, Inchley J, Sigmundova D, Iannotti R J, Tynjala J A, Hamrik Z, Haug E and Bucksch J. Secular trends in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in 32 countries from 2002 to 2010: a cross-national perspective.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 37-40(April 2015)
Go to the article in Eurpub
- Neville F G, Goodall C A, Gavine A J, Williams D J and Donnelly P D. Public health youth violence, and perpetrator well-being. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology21(3), 322-333,
APA Psycnet DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/pac0000081 (August 2015).
Go to article in APA Psycnet
- Boniel-Nissim M, Lenzi M, Zsiros E, Gaspar de Matos M, Gommans R, Harel-Fisch Y, Djalovski A and van der Sluijs W. International trends in electronic media communication among 11- to 15-year-olds in 30 countries from 2002 to 2010: association with ease of communication with friends of the opposite sex.
European Journal of Public Health25(2), 41-45(April 2015)
Go to the article in Eurpub
- Whitehead R, Currie D, Inchley J and Currie C. Educational expectations and adolescent health behaviour: an evolutionary approach. International Journal of Public Health 60(5), 599-608 (May 2015)
Go to article in Pubmed
- Haw S, Amos A, Eadie D, Frank J, MacDonald L, MacKintosh A, MacGregor A, Miller M, Pearce J, Sharp C, Stead M, Tisch C, van der Sluijs W. Determining the impact of smoking point of sale legislation among youth (Display) study: a protocol for an evaluation of public health policy.
BMC Public Health 2014, 14 :251 (14 March 2014)
Go to article in BMC Public Health
- Kuntsche E, Gabhainn SN, Roberts C, Windlin B, Vieno A, Bendtsen P, Hublet A, Tynjälä J, Välimaa R, Dankulincová Z, Aasvee K, Demetrovics Z, Farkas J, van der Sluijs W, Gaspar de Matos M, MazurJ & Wicki M. (2014). Drinking motives and links to alcohol use in 13 European countries. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 75(3), 428.
- McDaid D, Park A-L, Zanotti C, Currie C, Investing in the wellbeing of young people: making the economic case. In Wellbeing: A Complete Reference Guide. Volume 6: Economics and Wellbeing (McDaid D, Cooper C L eds). Oxford: Wiley: Blackwell February 2014
Go to article
- Muldoon J C, Williams, J.M. & Lawrence, A. (in press). ‘Mum cleaned it and I just played with it’: Children’s perceptions of their roles and responsibilities in the care of family pets. Childhood.
- Levin KA, Dundas R, Miller M, McCartney G. Socioeconomic and geographic inequalities in adolescent smoking: A multilevel cross-sectional study of 15 year olds in Scotland. Social Science and Medicine April 2014
Go to article
- Levin KA, Urban–rural differences in adolescent eating behaviour: a multilevel cross-sectional study of 15-year-olds in Scotland. Public Health Nutrition.
Go to article in Public Health Nutrition Volume 17 / Issue 08 / August 2014, pp 1776-1785
- Levin KA and Currie C, Reliability and Validity of an Adapted Version of the Cantril Ladder for Use with Adolescent Samples. Social Indicators Research
Go to article in Social Indicators Research November 2014, Volume 119, Issue 2, pp 1047-1063
- Pfoertner T-K, Rathmann K, Elgar F J, De Looze M, Hofmann F, Ottova-Jordan V, Ravens-Sieberer U, Bosakova L, Currie C,Richter M(2014) Adolescents' psychological health complaints and the economic recession in late 2007: a multilevel study in 31 countries. European Journal of Public 23 May 2014
Go to article
- Currie C, Ahluwalia N, Godeau E, Nic Gabhain S, Due P, Currie D. (2013) The relative contribution of genes and environment to age at menarche with respect to the role of pre-pubertal obesity: response to Grandone et al.
Journal of Adolescent Health Final version published online: 19-FEB-2013 Full bibliographic details: Journal of Adolescent Health 52 (2013), p. 376 DOI information: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.01.001
- Elgar F J, De Clercq B, Schnohr C W, Bird, P, Pickett K E, Torsheim T, Hofmann F, Currie, C. Social Science & Medicine, volume 91, issue , year 2013, pp. 25 - 31 (2013) Absolute and relative family affluence and psychosomatic symptoms in adolescents. Social Science & Medicine
- Inchley J (2013) Let's get physical: a public health priority Royal Society for Public Health, 2013 133: 92
Go to article in Royal Society for Public Health
- Kirby J & Inchley J (2013) Walking behaviours among adolescent girls in Scotland: a pilot study. Health Education; 113(1): 28-51
Go to article in Health Education
- Kirby J, Levin K A and Inchley J (2013) Socio-environmental influences on physical activity among young people: a qualitative study Health Education Research; 28: 954-969.
Go to article in Health Education Research
- Madkour AS, de Looze M, Ma P, Halpern CT, Farhat T, ter Bogt TF, Ehlinger V, Nic Gabhainn S, Currie C, Godeau E, Macro-level Age Norms for the Timing of Sexual Initiation and Adolescents' Early Sexual Initiation in 17 European Countries Journal of Adolescent Health. Download
- Vyncke V, De Clercq B, Stevens V, Costongs C, Barbareschi G, Hrafn Jónsson S, Darias Curvo S, Kebza V, Currie C and Maes L (2013) Does neighbourhood social capital aid in levelling the social gradient in the health and well-being of children and adolescents? A literature review. BMC Public Health
- Currie C, Ahluwalia N, Godeau E, Nic Gabhain S, Due P, Currie D. (2012) Is Obesity At Individual And National Level Associated With Lower Age At Menarche? Evidence From 34 Countries In The Health Behaviour In School-Aged Children (HBSC) Study. Journal of Adolescent Health 50(6), 621-626.
Go to article in Journal of Adolescent Health
- De Clercq B, Vyncke V, Hublet A, Elgar F J, Ravens-Sieberer U, Currie C, Hooghe M, Leven A, Maes L (2012) Social capital and social inequality in adolescents’ health in 601 Flemish communities: A multilevel analysis, Social Science & Medicine, doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.10.025
Go to the article in Social Science & Medicine
- Durkin K, Hunter S, Levin KA, Bergin D, Heim D, Howe C. (2012) Discriminatory peer aggression among children as a function of minority status and group proportion in school context. European Journal of Social Psychology 42, 243-251.
Go to article in Journal of Social Psychology
- George C Patton, Carolyn Coff ey, Claudia Cappa, Dorothy Currie, Leanne Riley, Fiona Gore, Louisa Degenhardt, Dominic Richardson, Nan Astone, Adesola O Sangowawa, Ali Mokdad, Jane Ferguson (2012) Health of the world’s adolescents: a synthesis of internationally comparable data, The Lancet, 379 (9826) 1665-1675.
Go to article in The Lancet
- Gugglberger L & Inchley J (2012). Phases of health promotion implementation into the Scottish school system. Health Promotion International, first published online November 6, 2012 doi:10.1093/heapro/das061
Go to article in Health Promotion International
- Kirby J, Levin KA, Inchley J (2012) Associations between the school environment and adolescent girls’ physical activity. Health Education Research, 27(1) 101-104
Go to the article in Health Education Research
- Levin KA (2012) Glasgow smiles better: An examination of adolescent mental well-being and the ‘Glasgow effect’. Public Health, 126, 96-103.
Go to the article in Public Health
- Levin KA, Dallago L, Currie C (2012) The association between adolescent life satisfaction, family structure, family affluence and gender differences in parent-child communication. Social Indicators Research 106, 287-305.
Go to the article in the Social Indicators Research
- Levin KA, Inchley J, Currie D, Currie C (2012) Subjective health and mental well-being of adolescents and the Health Promoting School: a cross-sectional multilevel analysis. Health Education, 112, 170-184.
Go to article Health Education
- Levin KA, Kirby J. (2012) Irregular breakfast consumption in adolescence and the family environment: underlying causes of family structure inequality. Appetite, 59(1) 63-70
Go to article Appetite
- Levin KA, Kirby J, Currie C (2012) Family structure and breakfast consumption of 11- 15 year old boys and girls in Scotland, 1994-2010: a repeated cross-sectional study BMC Public Health, 12:228 (DOI:10.1186/1471-2458-12-228)
Go to article BMC Public Health
- Levin KA, Kirby J, Currie C (2012) Adolescent risk behaviours and mealtime routines: Does family meal frequency alter the association between family structure and risk behaviour? Health Education Research, 27(1)24-35
Go to the article in Health Eduction Research
- Levin K A, Kirby J, Currie C, Inchley J (2012)Trends in adolescent eating behaviour: a multilevel cross-sectional study of 11–15 year olds in Scotland, 2002–2010. Public Health 34: 523-531
Go to the article in Journal of Public Health
- Moore G F, Currie D, Gilmore G, Holliday J C, Moore L (2012) Socioeconomic inequalities in childhood exposure to secondhand smoke before and after smoke-free legislation in three UK countries.Public Health 34: 599-608
Go to article in Journal of Public Health
- Muldoon J C, & Catts R. (2012). Social capital transitions of 'Get Ready For Work' trainees. In J Allen & R Catts (eds.) Social Capital Practices and Young People. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Russell M Viner, Elizabeth M Ozer, Simon Denny, Michael Marmot, Michael Resnick, Adesegun Fatusi, Candace Currie (2012) Adolescence and the social determinants of health, The Lancet, 379 (9826) 1641-1652.
Go to article in The Lancet
- Inchley J, Kirby J and Currie C (2011) Longitudinal changes in physical self-perceptions and associations with physical activity during adolescence. Pediatric Exercise Science, 23(2), 237-249.
Go to the article in Pedriatic Exercise Science
- Kirby J, Levin KA, Inchley J (2011) Parental and peer influences on physical activity among Scottish adolescents: a longitudinal study. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 8(6), 785-793. Pubmed
- Levin KA, Torsheim T, Vollebergh W, Richter M, Davies CA, Schnohr CW, Due P, Currie C (2011) National Income and Income Inequality, Family Affluence and Life Satisfaction Among 13 year Old Boys and Girls: A Multilevel Study in 35 Countries. Social Indicators Research104,179-194.
Go to the article in Social Indicators Research
- Nordahl H, Krølner K, Páll G, Currie C, Andersen A (2011)Measurement of ethnic background in cross national school surveys: agreement between students' and parents' responses. Journal of Adolescent Health 49(3), 272-277
Go to the article Journal of Acolescent Health
- Akhtar P, Haw SJ, Levin K, Currie D, Zachary R, Currie C (2010) Socioeconomic differences in secondhand smoke exposure among children in Scotland after introduction of the smoke-free legislation. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 64, 341-346. [DOI:10.1136/jech.2008.084178]
- Levin KA, Currie C (2010) Family structure, mother-child communication, father-child communication, and adolescent life satisfaction: A cross-sectional multilevel analysis. Health Education, 110(3), 152-158. [DOI: 10.1108/09654281011038831]
Health Education Online
- Levin KA, Currie C (2010) Adolescent toothbrushing and the home environment: Sociodemographic factors, family relationships and mealtime routines and disorganisation. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. Online First October 21, 2009 [DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00509.x]
- Levin KA, Davies CA, Douglas GV, Pitts NB (2010) Urban-rural differences in dental caries of 5-year old children in Scotland. Social Science & Medicine, 71(11), 2020-2027. [DOI:10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.09.006]
- Williams JM, Muldoon J and Lawrence A (2010) Children and their pets: Exploring the relationships between pet ownership, pet attitudes, attachment and empathy. Education and Health, 28(1), 12-15.
Go to the article in Education and Health
- 2009: International Journal of Public Health HBSC Supplement September 2009: Social determinants of child andadolescent health - findings from the International Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) Study Supplement articles are available to download from the International Journal of Public Health
- Barnekow V and Muijen M (2009) Child and adolescent health and development in a European perspective. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S128-130. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5403-y]
- Craig W, Harel-Fisch Y, Fogel-Grinvald H, Dostaler S, Hetland J, Simons-Morton B, Molcho M, Gaspar de Matos M, Overpeck M, Due P, Pickett W, the HBSC Violence & Injuries Prevention Focus Group and the HBSC Bullying Writing Group (2009) A cross-national profile of bullying and victimization among adolescents in 40 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S209-215. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5413-9]
- Currie C, Nic Gabhainn S, Godeau E and the International HBSC Network Coordinating Committee (2009) The Health Behaviour in School-aged Children: WHO Collaborative Cross-National (HBSC) Study: origins, concept, history and development 1982-2008. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S131-139. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5404-x]
- Erhart M, Ottova V, Gaspar T, Jericek H, Schnohr C, Alikasifoglu M, Morgan A, Ravens-Sieberer U and the HBSC Positive Health Focus Group (2009) Measuring mental health and well-being of school-children in 15 European countries using the KIDSCREEN-10 Index. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S160-166. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5407-7]
- Freeman JG, Samdal O, Klinger DA, Dür W, Griebler R, Currie D and Rasmussen M (2009) The relationship of schools to emotional health and bullying. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S251-259. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5421-9]
- Haug E, Rasmussen M, Samdal O, Iannotti R, Kelly C, Borraccino A, Vereecken C, Melkevik O, Lazzeri G, Giacchi M, Ercan O, Due P, Ravens-Sieberer U, Currie C, Morgan A, Ahluwalia N and the HBSC Obesity Writing Group (2009) Overweight in school-aged children and its relationship with demographic and lifestyle factors: results from the WHO-Collaborative Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) Study. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S167-179. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5408-6]
- Holstein BE, Currie C, Boyce W, Damsgaard MT, Gobina I, Kökönyei G, Hetland J, de Looze M, Richter M, Due P and the HBSC Social Inequalities Focus Group (2009) Socio-economic inequality in multiple health complaints among adolescents: international comparative study in 37 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S260-270. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5418-4]
- Iannotti RJ, Janssen I, Haug E, Kololo H, Annaheim B, Borraccino A and the HBSC Physical Activity Focus Group (2009) Interrelationships of adolescent physical activity, screen-based sedentary behaviour, and social and psychological health. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S191-198. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5410-z]
- Koller T, Morgan A, Guerreiro A, Currie C, Ziglio E and the International HBSC study group (2009) Addressing the socioeconomic determinants of adolescent health: experiences from the WHO/HBSC Forum 2007. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S278-284. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5420-x]
- Kuntsche E, Simons-Morton B, ter Bogt T, Sánchez Queija I, Muñoz Tinoco V, Gaspar de Matos M, Santinello M, Lenzi M and the HBSC Peer Culture Focus Group (2009) Electronic media communication with friends from 2002 to 2006 and links to face-to-face contacts in adolescence: an HBSC study in 31 European and North American countries and regions. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S243-250. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5416-6]
- Marmot M (2009) Social determinants and adolescent health. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S123-124. S125-127. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5402-z]
- McQueen DV (2009) 25 years of HBSC: challenges and successes. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S123-124. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5401-0]
- Molcho M, Craig W, Due P, Pickett W, Harel-Fisch Y, Overpeck M and the HBSC Bullying Writing Group (2009) Cross-national time trends in bullying behaviour 1994-2006: findings from Europe and North America. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S225-234. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5414-8]
- Moreno C, Sánchez-Queija I, Muñoz-Tinoco V, Gaspar de Matos M, Dallago L, ter Bogt T, Camacho I, Rivera F and the HBSC Peer Culture Focus Group (2009) Cross-national associations between parent and peer communication and psychological complaints. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S235-242. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5415-7]
- Nic Gabhainn S, Baban A, Boyce W, Godeau E and the HBSC Sexual Health Focus Group (2009) How well protected are sexually active 15-year olds? Cross-national patterns in condom and contraceptive pill use 2002-2006. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S209-215. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5412-x]
- Ravens-Sieberer U (2009) The contribution of HBSC to international child health research - a milestone in child public health. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S121-122. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5400-1]
- Ravens-Sieberer U, Torsheim T, Hetland J, Vollebergh W, Cavallo F, Jericek H, Alikasifoglu M, Välimaa R, Ottova V, Erhart M and the HBSC Positive Health Focus Group (2009) Subjective health, symptom load and quality of life of children and adolescents in Europe. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S151-159. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5406-8]
- Roberts C, Freeman J, Samdal O, Schnohr CW, de Looze ME, Nic Gabhainn S, Iannotti R, Rasmussen M and the International HBSC Study Group (2009) The Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study: methodological developments and current tensions. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S140-150. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5405-9]
- Simons-Morton BG, Farhat T, ter Bogt TFM, Hublet A, Kuntsche E, Nic Gabhainn S, Godeau E, Kokkevi A and the HBSC Risk Behaviour Focus Group (2009) Gender specific trends in alcohol use: cross-cultural comparisons from 1998 to 2006 in 24 countries and regions. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S199-208. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5411-y]
- Vereecken C, Dupuy M, Rasmussen M, Kelly C, Nanse TR, Al Sabbah H, Baldassari D, Delgrande Jordan M, Maes L, Niclasen B V-L, Ahluwalia N and the HBSC Eating & Dieting Focus Group (2009) Breakfast consumption and its socio-demographic and lifestyle correlates in schoolchildren in 41 countries participating in the HBSC study. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S180-190. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5409-5]
- Young I and Currie C (2009) The HBSC study in Scotland: can the study influence policy and practice in schools? International Journal of Public Health, 54, S271-277. [DOI:10.1007/s00038-009-5419-3]
- Akhtar P, Haw SJ, Currie D, Zachary R, Currie C (2009) Smoking restrictions in the home and secondhand smoke exposure among primary schoolchildren before and after introduction of the Scottish smoke-free legislation. Tobacco Control, Vol 18, pp. 409-15. Online First August 10, 2009. [DOI:10.1136/tc.2009.030627]
- Due P, Damsgaard MT, Rasmussen M, Holstein BE, Wardle J, Merlo J, Currie C, Ahluwalia N, Sørensen T I A and Lynch J, plus the HBSC obesity writing group (2009) Socioeconomic position, macroeconomic environment and overweight among adolescents in 35 countries. International Journal of Obesity, 99(5), 907-914. [DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2008.139303]
- Due P, Merlo J, Harel-Fisch Y, Trab Damsgaard M, Holstein B, Hetland J, Currie C, Nic Gabhainn S, Gaspar de Matos M, Lynch J (2009) Socioeconomic inequality in exposure to bullying during adolescence: a comparative, cross-sectional, multilevel study in 35 countries. American Journal of Public Health, 99(5), 907-914. [DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2008.139303]
- Goldstein H, Carpenter J, Kenward MG, Levin KA (2009) Multilevel models with multivariate mixed response types. Statistical Modelling, 9(3), 173-197. [DOI: 10.1177/1471082X0800900301]
- Kirby J & Inchley J (2009) Active travel to school: views of 10-13 year old schoolchildren in Scotland. Health Education, 109(2), 169-183. [DOI: 10.1108/09654280910936611]
- Levin KA and Currie C (2009) Inequalities in tooth brushing among adolescents in Scotland, 1998-2006. Health Education Research, 24(1), 87-97. [DOI: 10.1093/her/cym096]
- Levin KA, Currie C, Muldoon J (2009) Mental well-being and subjective health of 11-15 year old boys and girls in Scotland, 1994-2006. European Journal of Public Health, 19, 605-610. [DOI:10.1093/eurpub/ckp046]
- Levin KA, Davies CA, Topping GVA, Assaf AV, Pitts NB (2009) Inequalities in dental caries of 5-year old children in Scotland, 1993-2003. European Journal of Public Health, 19, 337-342. [DOI:10.1093/eurpub/ckp035]
- Levin KA, Jones C, Wight C, Valentine C, Topping G, Naysmith R (2009) Fluoride rinsing and dental health inequalities in 11-year-old children: an evalution of a supervised school-based fluoride rinsing programme in Edinburgh. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 37, 19-26. [DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2008.00445.x]
- Richter M, Vereecken C, Boyce W, Maes L, Nic Gabhainn S, Currie C (2009) Parental occupation, family affluence and adolescent health behaviour in 28 countries. International Journal of Public Health, 54, 1-10. [DOI: 10.1007/s00038-009-8018-4]
- Warin J and Muldoon J (2009) Wanting to be 'known': redefining self-awareness through an understanding of self-narration processes in educational transitions. British Educational Research Journal, 35(2), 289-303.
[DOI: 10.1080/01411920802043000 ]
- Currie C, Molcho M, Boyce B, Holstein B, Torsheim T and Richter M (2008) Researching health inequalities in adolescents: The development of the Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children (HBSC) Family Affluence Scale. Social Science and Medicine, 66(6), 1429-1436. [DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.11.024]
- Fitzsimons CF et al (2008) The 'Walking for Wellbeing in the West' randomised controlled trial of a pedometer-based walking programme in combination with physical activity consultation with 12 month follow-up: rationale and study design. BMC Public Health, 8:259. [ DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-8-259 ] [ Available online at www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/8/259 ]
- Godeau E, Nic Gabhainn S, Vignes C, Ross J, Boyce W and Todd J (2008) Contraceptive use by 15-year-old students at their last sexual intercourse: results from 24 countries. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 162(1), 66-73. [ Available online at: http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/162/1/66 ]
- Schnohr C, Kreiner S, Rasmussen M, Due P, Currie C and Diderichsen F (2008) The role of national policies intended to regulate adolescent smoking in explaining the prevalence of daily smoking: a study of adolescents from 27 European countries. Addiction, 103(5), 824-831. [DOI: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02161.x]
- Akhtar PC, Currie DB, Currie CE and Haw SJ (2007) Changes in child exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (CHETS) study after implementation of smoke-free legislation in Scotland: national cross sectional survey. BMJ, 335(7619):545. [ DOI: 10.1136/bmj.39311.550197.AE ]
Download article [pdf] Download appendix [pdf]
- Inchley J, Muldoon J & Currie C (2007) Becoming a health promoting school: evaluating the process of effective implementation in Scotland. Health Promotion International, 22(1), 65-71. [ DOI: 10.1093/heapro/dal059 ]
- Nic Gabhainn S, Sixsmith J, Delaney E-N, Moore M, Inchley J and O'Higgins S (2007) Health promoting school indicators: schematic models from students. Health Education, 107(6), 494-510. [ DOI: 10.1108/09654280710827902 ]
- Ojala K, Vereecken C, Valimaa R, Currie C, Villberg J, Tynjala J and Kannas L (2007) Attempts to lose weight among overweight and non-overweight adolescents: a cross-national survey. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 50(4). [ DOI: 10.1186/1479-5868-4-50 ]
[ Available online at: www.ijbnpa.org/content/4/1/50 ]
- Roberts C, Currie C, Samdal O, Currie D, Smith R and Maes L (2007) Measuring the health and health behaviours of adolescents through cross-national survey research: recent developments in the Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study. Journal of Public Health, 15(3), 179-186.
[ DOI: 10.1007/s10389-007-0100-x ]
- Schnohr C, Kreiner S, Due P, Currie C, Boyce W and Diderichsen F (Advance Access 24 Nov 2007 ) Differential item functioning of a family affluence scale: Validation study on data from HBSC 2001/02. Social Indicators Research. [DOI: 10.1007/s11205-007-9221-4]
- Boyce W, Torsheim T, Currie C and Zambon A (2006) The Family Affluence Scale as a Measure of National Wealth: Validation of an Adolescent Self-reported Measure. Social Indicators Research, 78(3), 473-487.
[ DOI: 10.1007/s11205-005-1607-6 ]
- Haw SJ, Gruer L, Amos A, Currie C, Fishbacher C, Fong GT, Hastings G, Malam S, Pell J, Scott C and Semple S (2006) Legislation on smoking in enclosed public places in Scotland: how will we evaluate the impact? Journal of Public Health, 28(1), 24-30. [ DOI: 10.1093/pubmed/fdi080 ]
- Torsheim T, Currie C, Boyce W & Samdal O (2006) Country material distribution and adolescents' perceived health: Multilevel study of adolescents in twenty-seven countries. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 60, 156-161. [DOI:10.1136/jech.2005.037655]
- Vereecken CA, Todd J, Roberts C, Mulvihill C, Maes L (2006) TV viewing behaviour and associations with food habits in different countries. Public Health Nutrition, 9(2), 244-250.
- Zambon A, Boyce W, Cois E, Currie C, Lemma P, Dalmasso P, Borraccion A and Cavallo F (2006) Do welfare regimes mediate the effect of socio-economic position on health in adolescence? A cross-national comparison in Europe, North America and Israel. International Journal of Health Services, 36(2), 309-329.
- Alexander LM, Inchley J, Todd J, Currie D, Cooper AR, Currie C (2005) The broader impact of walking to school among adolescents: seven day accelerometry based study. BMJ, 331, 1061-1062. [Available online at: www.bmj.com ]
- Due P, Holstein BE, Lynch J, Diderichsen F, Nic Gabhain S, Scheidt P, Currie C and The Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children Bullying Working Group (2005) Bullying and Symptoms among School-Aged Children: International Comparative Cross Sectional Study in 28 Countries. European Journal of Public Health, 15, 128-132. [DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/cki105]
- Inchley JC, Currie DB, Todd JM, Akhtar PC, Currie CE (2005) Persistent socio-demographic differences in physical activity among Scottish schoolchildren 1990-2002. European Journal of Public Health, 15(4), 386-388. [DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/cki084]
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk P, Boyce W, Vereecken C, Mulvihill C, Roberts C, Currie C, Pickett W, The Health Behaviour in School-Aged Children Obesity Working Group (2005) Comparison of overweight and obesity prevalence in school-aged youth from 34 countries and their relationships with physical activity and dietary patterns. Obesity Reviews, 6(2), 123. [DOI:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2005.00176.x]
- Pickett W, Craig W, Harel Y, Cunningham J, Simpson K, Molcho M, Mazur J, Dostaler S, Overpeck M, Currie C on behalf of the HBSC Violence and Injuries Writing Group (2005) Cross-national study of fighting and weapon carrying as determinants of adolescent injury. Pediatrics, 116(6), 855-863. [DOI: 10.1542/peds.2005-0607]
- Vereecken CA, Inchley JC, Subramanian SV, Hublet A and Maes L (2005) The relative influence of individual and contextual socio-economic status on consumption of fruit and soft drinks among adolescents in Europe. European Journal of Public Health, 15, 224-232.
- Alexander LM & Currie C (2004) Young people's computer use: implications for Health Education. Health Education, 104(4). [ DOI: 10.1108/09654280410546745 ]
- Batista-Foguet JM, Fortiana J, Currie C, and Villalbi JR (2004) Socioeconomic indexes in surveys for comparisons between countries. An applied comparison using the Family Affluence Scale. Social Indicators Research, 67(3), 315-332.
- Torsheim T, Currie C, Boyce W, Kalnins I, Overpeck M and Haugland S (2004) Material deprivation and self-rated health: a multilevel study of adolescents from 22 European and North American countries. Social Science & Medicine, 59(1), 1-12. [ DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.09.032 ]
- Wold B, Currie C, Roberts C, Aaro LE (2004) National legislation on school smoking restriction in eight European countries. Health Promotion International, 19, 482-488. [DOI: 10.1093/heapro/dah410]
- Wold B, Torsheim T, Currie C and Roberts C (2004) National and school policies on restrictions of teacher smoking: a multilevel analysis of student exposure to teacher smoking in seven European countries. Health Education Research, 19, 1-10. [DOI: 10.1093/her/cyg029]
- Griesbach D, Amos A, and Currie C (2003) Adolescent smoking and family structure in Europe. Social Science and Medicine, 56, 41-521. [DOI: 10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00014-x]
- Hansen EH, Holstein BE, Due P and Currie CE (2003) International survey of self-reported medicine use among adolescents. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 37, 361-366. [ Available online at: www.theannals.com under "Archived Issues" ]
- Griesbach D, Inchley J, Currie C (2002) More than words? The status and impact of smoking policies in Scottish schools. Health Promotion International, 17(1), 31-41. [DOI: 10.1093/heapro/17.1.31]
- Inchley J, Todd J, Bryce C, Currie C (2001) Dietary trends among Scottish schoolchildren in the 1990's. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 14, 206-17. [DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-277X.2001.00285.x]
- Inchley J, Currie C & Young I (2000) Evaluating the health promoting school: a case study approach. Health Education, 100(5), 200-206. [DOI: 10.1108/09654280010343573] Health Education
- Williams JM and Currie CE (2000) Self-esteem and physical development in early adolescence: pubertal timing and body image. Journal of Early Adolescence, 20, 129-149. [DOI: 10.1177/0272431600020002002]
- Thomson C, Currie C, Todd J and Elton R (1999) Changes in HIV/AIDS education, knowledge and attitudes among Scottish 15-16 year olds, 1990-1994: findings form the WHO: Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Study (HBSC). Health Education Research, 14(3), 357-370. [DOI: 10.1093/her/14.3.357]
- Bowker S, Crosswaite C, Hickman M, McGuffin S & Tudor-Smith C (1998) The healthy option - a review of activity on food and nutrition by UK schools involved in the European Network of Health Promoting Schools. Health Education, 98(4), 135-141.
- Williams JM, Wright P, Currie CE and Beattie TF (1998) Sports-related injuries among Scottish adolescents aged 11-15. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 32, 291-296.
- Currie C, Elton RA, Todd J and Platt S (1997) Indicators of socioeconomic status for adolescents: the WHO Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Survey. Health Education Research, 12(3), 385-397. [DOI: 10.1093/her/12.3.385]
- Williams J, Currie C, Wright P, Elton R, Beattie T (1997) Socioeconomic status and adolescent injuries. Social Science and Medicine, 44(12), 1881-1891. [DOI: 10.1016/S0277-9536(96)00297-3]
- Crosswaite C, Currie C & Young I (1996) The European Network of Health Promoting Schools: development and evaluation in Scotland. Health Education Journal, 55, 450-6.
- Currie CE, Williams JM, Wright P, Beattie T and Harel Y (1996) Incidence and distribution of injury among schoolchildren aged 11-15. Injury Prevention, 2, 21-25.
- Health Education Board for Scotland, Health Promotion Wales, Health Education Authority & Health Promotion Agency for Northern Ireland (1996) The European Network of Health Promoting Schools: Introduction - the UK project. Health Education Journal, 55, 447-449.